Monday, June 3, 2013

Movie Monday: Star Trek: Into Darkness


Ah, I bet you'd forgotten all about these! Well, I kind of did, too, until a couple weeks ago when I was browsing through old posts, and I realized it's been... too long since I did one of these. I'm a little rusty, so forgive me if this doesn't persuade you to watch this movie. You definitely should go watch it.

I will prove to you once again that I am an enormous geek (not the most enormous, by far, but still quite enormous) as I tell you about today's movie, Star Trek: Into Darkness.


Star Trek: Into Darkness picks up where Star Trek left off, with Captain Kirk leading his team on the USS Enterprise. On an observation mission, Captain Kirk is forced to reveal the Enterprise to the native population as Spock's life would otherwise be lost, thus breaking the "Prime Directive." Mr Spock, being the Vulcan that he is, puts this information in his mission report, and this information ends up getting Kirk relieved from his position as captain of the Enterprise.

Meanwhile, the plot is underfoot as agent John Harrison bombs a Starfleet base in London. An emergency meeting is called at headquarters with the highest ranking officials. All seems to be going smoothly... until Harrison shows up in a gunship and unleashes fire on the building. What ensues puts Kirk back in the captain's chair of the Enterprise and a personal mission that takes the team into Klingon territory and the most life-threatening situation of their careers.

Hi. Can I just tell you how much I love Benedict Cumberbatch? Look at Sherlock, being all bad guy and stuff. Awesome.

Well, really, the casting in this movie was super perfect, in both my opinion and Chris'. After we saw this movie, we watched the original Star Trek movie on Netflix (which I wouldn't recommend unless you have something else to distract you because it is the slowest movie of all time) and it was spot on with this movie.

I would recommend bringing something with you to keep your hands busy, because I was biting my nails almost the whole time. Because I'm not a Star Trek expert or anything, I didn't know anything from original movies or the tv series. So everything was a surprise for me, and I didn't see some plot twists coming. We were sitting beside some die-hard Trekkies - I should have asked them what they thought.

This is a great date night movie, something for everyone in this movie. Action, romance, hilarity, drama, etc, etc. If you haven't seen Star Trek at all or it's been a while, I would recommend watching it first before you go see this.

And now here's a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch being a sweetheart:

5 comments:

  1. Felicia! Caleb and I JUST sat down to figure out matinee prices for Star Trek, and I JUST saw your post about it! How funny! I was excited before, but now I'm even more excited! Thanks for the review! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Report: Watched it and enjoyed it. The humor they used was witty. :)

      Delete
  2. I want to see this soon! I'm not a big fan of going to movies right when they first come out cause I hate crowds, but this weekend I think it'll be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see this movie! I need to watch the first one again though, because it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this the other week. SO GOOD!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete