Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pioneer days.

Every year on August long weekend (which was this past weekend), the Mennonite Heritage Village here in Steinbach throws their Pioneer Days, which is 4 days of living like the old times. Volunteers come and do demonstrations with the old farming equipment, in the blacksmith shop, in the printery, and all these cool things that people used to have that we have no clue how to work now.

Last year I went with my friend Estela (see that post here) and this year Chris came with us. He has lived here for 12 years and he had never been to the museum before! Estela and I were both shocked. So obviously we had to go into every building for his sake.

This year there was also a flea market, which I don't recall ever happening before. There was a man running a stall with handcrafted pens and stuff like that (which were beautiful but I didn't have any cash *sad face*). he had a couple letter openers, and I picked one up, and he asked me if I knew what a letter opener was. We all kind of laughed at him. Do I know what a letter opener is. HA! I'm just that awesome.

Anyway, here are some pictures from our day there.

Some old writing utensils in the store.
Old handkerchiefs. So cute!
Barkman, represent!
They were just going to change the plates when we were in the print shop, so we didn't get to see them actually making anything. Boo.
More Barkman!

Some shots from inside the public school.
Estela felt the need to open all the car doors in the antique car display.
Chris wrote that.

We are so mature.
Da windmill! They actually grind flour there, and then the bread they sell in the restaurant is made from that flour. Yummy.
The grain thresher in action. You would not want to get too close to that thing - scary!

Estela was joking that she was going to get married on that island, and everyone would have to sit on the other side, so that they wouldn't be able to hear anything.



We found some super rad stuff at the antique sellers stalls!! I wanted those bookends and those glasses real bad.
The phone has an idea?
Winnie the Pooh and Christoper Robin and Piglet!!
Sweet camera Estela spied.
I am an Eskimo.
This pencil case was carved with a pocketknife! Can you believe that? It is so flipping intricate.
This is where you get the fresh bread. And awesome Menno food. We stood in line outside for about 20 minutes. It's that good.
Chris wants one of these constructed for him when he dies. So people will think he's epic or something.
Estela is milking an invisible cow. We are good friends for a reason.
YEAH  MENNONITE WOMEN REPRESENT!
Chris found a cane. He looks quite dapper indeed.

And... the windmill. (This year it uploaded right! Hurrah!)
If you ever come to visit me, please come the first weekend of August so that I can bring you to Pioneer Days.

4 comments:

  1. What fun! It looks like you had an awesome time!

    Are the Barkman's a big deal where you live?

    x Jasmine

    PS. Do you know what a letter opener is?! Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! *cue flood of memories* I totally remember that windmill! I was also telling my mom the other day that as soon as I get a chance, I am totally buying another pair of those awesome mittens that I had as a kid. I can't wait to get a chance to visit! I'll have to plan for next year's long weekend :) Glad y'all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun! I will keep this in mind for that day in the future when I come to visit you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I may have that old winnie the pooh book! Looks like alot of fun was had!

    ReplyDelete